Gold is making a big comeback in interior design, and it’s showing up in every form from small-scale accessories to statement furniture pieces. With a range of shades from yellow to honeyed tones of brass, the look is both glamorous and organic, traditional and modern—a study in contrast and texture. Treat these gems as jewelry for your home. Layer them on and mix and match styles and periods to suit your personal style.
1. Go for Baroque (with a modern edge) with Bernhardt’s romantic gold velvet Fitzgerald sofa, Brielle cocktail table and matching end table in a combination of soft gold patinated brass and cream lacquer (pictured above). Kanes Furniture, 5252 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, (941) 924-1271.
2. Strike it rich with a treasure trove of gold décor from Global Views’ accessories and formal furniture, exquisitely made by John Richard (prices on request). Current, 83 Cocoanut Ave., Sarasota, (941) 365-5323.
3. Award-winning designer Jason Phillips of Phillips Collection explores the ancient art of lacquer ware with his gold river stone cocktail tables interpreted in metal leaf and lacquer (small, $1,000; large, $1,400). Home Resource, 741 Central Ave., Sarasota, (941) 366-6690.
4. Don’t miss designer Laura Kirar’s lighting for Arteriors, including a chandelier with 24 doves perched on a gold ring ($2,875) and this understatedly elegant vintage brass floor lamp ($1,575). Black Bird Home Gallery, 1540 Main St., Sarasota, (941) 366-0941.
5. Ramp up your home’s glamour quotient with the Ravenel Bookcase from the buzzed-about debut line by designer Celerie Kemble for Henredon ($8,685), inspired by the ornate bamboo fretwork of the Brighton Pavilion. Heritage House Home Interiors, 8001 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota (941) 556-0501.
6. Polish up neutral rooms with gold accents like the Haviland bunching table by trendsetter Dwell Studio. Simple antique gold curved legs are a delicate counterpoint to an elegant travertine top ($975). The Sarasota Collection Home Store, 622 Central Ave., Sarasota, (941) 955-8313.
7. Gold leaf takes on new meaning with Michael Aram’s New Leaves collection. Myriad gold-plated choices include the gingko double compartment serving bowl ($99), Monstera leaf centerpiece ($395) and Hosta serving bowl (medium, $289). M.L. Gosling, 43 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota, (941) 366-2500.
For more shopping finds, click here.