From the fashion catwalks straight to the pool terraces of Sarasota, the latest crop of outdoor furniture is taking its cues from the runway. Chunky woven looks, color blocking and bright accents are de rigueur at Europe’s top outdoor outfitters. Yet the coming season is full of sophisticated designs meant to last a lifetime. Durability, seaworthy materials and ease of care are signatures of this fresh assortment of outdoor beauties.
1. Belgian outdoor outfitter Royal Botania takes a lesson or two from nautical industries to craft its durable, weatherproof Ninix side table (as shown, $995) and loungers ($3,395), made from marine-grade mesh and stainless steel. Jardin de Ville, Miromar Design Center, 10800 Corkscrew Road, Suite 201, Estero, (239) 947-4005.
2. Deceptively light and airy, the clean-lined Nest armchair by Kannoa ($1,395) is a sturdy and durable perch crafted of powder-coated aluminum frame wrapped in all-weather wicker. Perfect for lounging on a patio, lawn or deck with storage under the seat. Sarasota Collection Home Store, 622 Central Ave., Sarasota, (941) 955-8313.
3. Woven anything remains on point for 2014, and Janus et Cie’s new Tosca collection by Belgian maker Tribu features super-soft extra-wide braiding and plush cushions on an elegant rounded stainless steel shell. The tone-on-tone range includes two-seater, three-seater, club chair and daybed. Order through Home Resource, 741 Central Ave., Sarasota, (941) 366-6690.
4. Chic gets layered on heavy in the ultra-sophisticated outdoor dining collection Extrados by Ego Paris. The table’s inventive runner (which can be in matching or contrasting material to the tabletop) is its crowning glory. Price on request through designers or furniture-egoparis.com.
5. Dining en plein air is stylish and simple with outdoor furniture that you’ll want to bring indoors. Tommy Bahama’s all-weather wicker Aviano Buffet ($2,479) is a fresh interpretation of mid-century modern, with its mocha-finished curved aluminum base. Baer’s Furniture, 5301 Clark Road, Sarasota, (941) 923-4200.
6. The sculptural form of the Bella armchair ($4,950) and side table ($1,390) by Gloster pairs tapering laminated teak slats and powder-coated aluminum frames for a clean, contemporary statement al fresco. Carl’s Patio, 7492 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, (941) 556-9137.
7. Fully upholstered and with a sun-protecting canopy, the Orleander sofa with canopy ($4,161 with customer’s own material), creates an inviting resort-chic retreat poolside. Plush cushions and pillows combine with graceful lines to belie the sofa’s impervious nature. Seaside Chic, 217 W. Venice Ave., Venice, (941) 483-1177.
For more Sarasota shopping finds, click here. >>
This article appears in the April 2014 issue of Sarasota Magazine. Like what you read? Click here to subscribe. >>