Hot & Happening

Past Articles



Vintage Sarasota Photo: Ringling Causeway

By: Chelsey Lucas

Vintage Sarasota: The John Ringling Causeway, circa 1927.

September 11, 2013


Ringling Causeway

Ringling Causeway (1927). The Ringling Causeway Bridge, which connects the City of Sarasota with St. Armands and Longboat Key, was first driven over by John Ringling on January 1, 1926. It is reported that Ringling offered the bridge to the city for a sum of $1, on the condition that the city would maintain, operate and keep the bridge open for free and constant use by the public. In 1951, the city proposed plans for a new, wider four-lane bridge to be built due to the growing population. Construction began in 1957 upon resolution of conflict between the city and the state, and remains of the old Causeway Bridge were torn down in 1959, ending the era of small town Sarasota. – Chelsey Lucas

Photo courtesy of the Sarasota County Department of Historical Resources

Tags: , , , ,