Palmer Bank (n.d.) Despite the collapsing land boom in the area and the economic crisis surrounding the times, the opening of Palmer Bank in 1929 saw potential growth. Within its first day of business, patrons deposited as much as $338,000! While other banks were closing around the city, Palmer Bank, backed by prominent business players in the Palmer family, was expanding. It first occupied the vacant American National Bank building (which later came to be known as the Orange Blossom Hotel), but moved to Five Points as it continued to service more and more citizens. — Chelsey Lucas
Photo courtesy of the Sarasota County Department of Historical Resources.