Sarasota history

Past Articles



Posts Tagged ‘Sarasota history’

02/5/2014

Vintage Sarasota: Ringling Museum

Ringling Museum (ca 1930). One of Sarasota’s finest staples, the Ringling Museum officially and permanently opened to the public on January 17, 1932. Due to economic downturn in the ‘20s and ‘30s, John Ringling employed 300 members of the winter circus crew to help with construction when builders and land speculators left the area. In its first three […]

Read More >>
01/29/2014

Vintage Sarasota: Post Office

Post Office (ca 1940). The Federal Building, the first permanently located (though not the first official) post office for Sarasota, was dedicated February 15, 1935. From the late 1800’s to the mid 1920’s, the post office changed locations a number of times, from stores to homes, a bank building, and even to a section of the Cummer Arcade […]

Read More >>
12/18/2013

Vintage Photo: Ca’d’Zan

This week’s Vintage Photo: The Ringling Museum’s Ca d’Zan, circa 1950.

Read More >>
07/24/2013

Vintage Sarasota: Sarasota’s First Golf Club

This week: Take a look at Sarasota’s first golf club, initiated in 1905 by town mayor John Hamilton Gillespie.

Read More >>
07/17/2013

Vintage Sarasota: Bayfront

This week: An aerial view of Sarasota Bay in 1954.

Read More >>
07/10/2013

Vintage Sarasota: Mira Mar Apartments

This week: Palm Avenue’s Mira Mar apartments.

Read More >>
07/3/2013

Vintage Sarasota: American Legion War Memorial

This week: The American Legion War Memorial at Five Points.

Read More >>
06/19/2013

Vintage Sarasota: Sarasota Hospital

This week: Sarasota Hospital, circa 1925.

Read More >>
06/5/2013

Vintage Sarasota: Henry Behrens and A.B. Edwards

This week: Henry Behrens and A.B. Edwards sitting atop Sarasota’s first fire engine in 1915.

Read More >>
06/3/2013

Vintage Sarasota: Lido Casino

This week: The Lido Casino in its prime.

Read More >>