Design experience: 40 years as president of Dorothy Draper & Co. Draper made interior design a profession in 1925 [when] there were no designers [or] schools of interior design. She went on to do enormous projects. My style: Think of large spaces and bold color. I believe that neutrals are soft aqua blues-beiges and whites are not in my color palette. Can good design be inexpensive? Design and taste are not based on money. I'm wearing a pair of cufflinks that I paid 20 pounds [$35] for in Heathrow, and I love them. On Southwest Florida design: I don't like bulky things in an environment that is natural and open. This isn't New York-you have more than 20 inches between buildings. There's an intensity of color, brightness of light. Unfortunately part of the homogenization of Florida is the wish to create everything with sand-the lack of color. Describe your Longboat Key home in the '60s: Very open. White bleached floors with a canary-yellow and white-painted stencil, white walls, white drapery with a yellow trim, a piece or two of antique furniture that wasn't going to crumble in the sun. Guilty pleasure: I do like my red wine, but I don't overdo it. I never do too much of what I like because I'm afraid they'll take it away from me. Varney, author of In the Pink: The High Style of Dorothy Draper, will appear at Sarasota's Robb & Stucky Feb. 17. Call 922-2274 for details.-Hannah Wallace
- Fleet Feet's Ton of Fun Challenge
- SWAT Networking
- De Soto National Memorial Ranger-led Kayak Tours
- Rotary Club of Bradenton Weekly Meeting
- The Dali Museum: M.C. Escher Special Exhibition
- Gardens of the Mind Dr. Joel Elkes at 102: A Retrospective
- John Russo Announces 2015 Fall Schedule
- Selby Gardens Presents “Living Sculpture: The Art of Air Plants"
- The Players Theatre Presents “The 39 Steps”
- 18th Annual Gala for Life
- South Florida Museum Presents "Clyde Butcher's Cuba: The Natural Beauty"
- The 5 Best Things We Ate This Week Our panel of experts share their top five picks on the local dining scene this...
- An Unlikely Heroine Steps in to Save Crumbling Dolphin Tower When downtown's Dolphin Tower threatened to collapse, an unlikely heroine emerged.
- Two "Granny Ranches" Hit the Sarasota Real Estate Market Two 1950s "granny ranches" have come on the local market.
- Our 8 Favorite #Sarasota Photos on Instagram This Week This week: This morning's rocket launch, peaceful sunsets, seashells and more.
- Their Sarasota Wedding: Jenn and Denver Stutler's Longboat Key Wedding Jenn and Denver Stutler celebrated their wedding with a New Year's Day brunch on Longboat...
- Goodwill Ambassador of the Year Awards
- Safe Sex Paranormal Prom Planned Parenthood's annual Halloween gala
$85 in advance; $100 at the door
Michael's On East
More info and...
- Fins at Sharky's Beer Dinner Five-course beer pairing.
- Their Sarasota Wedding: Cody and Jana Stapleton at the South Florida Museum Cody and Jana wed in April at the South Florida Museum.
- Sarasota Culture Collective Kicks Off 2015-2016 Season The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County kicks off its 2015-2016 Culture Collective season...