Design experience: 40 years as president of Dorothy Draper & Co. Draper made interior design a profession in 1925 [when] there were no designers [or] schools of interior design. She went on to do enormous projects. My style: Think of large spaces and bold color. I believe that neutrals are soft aqua blues-beiges and whites are not in my color palette. Can good design be inexpensive? Design and taste are not based on money. I'm wearing a pair of cufflinks that I paid 20 pounds [$35] for in Heathrow, and I love them. On Southwest Florida design: I don't like bulky things in an environment that is natural and open. This isn't New York-you have more than 20 inches between buildings. There's an intensity of color, brightness of light. Unfortunately part of the homogenization of Florida is the wish to create everything with sand-the lack of color. Describe your Longboat Key home in the '60s: Very open. White bleached floors with a canary-yellow and white-painted stencil, white walls, white drapery with a yellow trim, a piece or two of antique furniture that wasn't going to crumble in the sun. Guilty pleasure: I do like my red wine, but I don't overdo it. I never do too much of what I like because I'm afraid they'll take it away from me. Varney, author of In the Pink: The High Style of Dorothy Draper, will appear at Sarasota's Robb & Stucky Feb. 17. Call 922-2274 for details.-Hannah Wallace
- For Sale: Bobby Vinton's Former Home (Including Blue Velvet Drapes) This week, Bob Plunket takes us inside a Sarasota School of Architecture Home on New...
- Brown Bag Provisions Opens at Artisan Cheese Company Kelly Drost reopens her popular sandwich biz.
- Social on First Introduces New Saturday Brunch Downtown Sarasota's popular Social on First now offers Saturday brunch; Chef Judi Gallagher tastes and...
- Is Harbor Acres Sarasota's Best Neighborhood? This enclave of quiet wealth may be the best neighborhood in town.
- Six Questions with Vaughn Dorrian of Hummingbird Fine Foods Dorrian will be at Morton's Market today for a live demonstration and tasting.
- Sarasota’s New Medical Residency Program Sarasota Memorial Health Care System and Florida State University announced the creation of a...
- Sarasota Film Festival: Cartel Land A documentary follows vigilante groups fighting drug cartels on both sides of the border.
- Sarasota Chamber Prime Time
- Companies Tee Off and Women’s Executive Tee
- EDC Sarasota County Economic Outlook 2015