Design experience: 40 years as president of Dorothy Draper & Co. Draper made interior design a profession in 1925 [when] there were no designers [or] schools of interior design. She went on to do enormous projects. My style: Think of large spaces and bold color. I believe that neutrals are soft aqua blues-beiges and whites are not in my color palette. Can good design be inexpensive? Design and taste are not based on money. I'm wearing a pair of cufflinks that I paid 20 pounds [$35] for in Heathrow, and I love them. On Southwest Florida design: I don't like bulky things in an environment that is natural and open. This isn't New York-you have more than 20 inches between buildings. There's an intensity of color, brightness of light. Unfortunately part of the homogenization of Florida is the wish to create everything with sand-the lack of color. Describe your Longboat Key home in the '60s: Very open. White bleached floors with a canary-yellow and white-painted stencil, white walls, white drapery with a yellow trim, a piece or two of antique furniture that wasn't going to crumble in the sun. Guilty pleasure: I do like my red wine, but I don't overdo it. I never do too much of what I like because I'm afraid they'll take it away from me. Varney, author of In the Pink: The High Style of Dorothy Draper, will appear at Sarasota's Robb & Stucky Feb. 17. Call 922-2274 for details.-Hannah Wallace
- Rosie O'Donnell is Selling Her Casey Key Home Rosie O'Donnell is selling her Casey Key home after just three years.
- Sarasota Magazine February 2015
- Ned Davis Sells Stock Market Research Company After an immensely profitable sale, Ned Davis is no longer running his stock market research...
- Venice YMCA Black Tie Gala
- Pino's Reopens in Paradise Plaza Pino's restaurant reopens in a new space in Sarasota's Paradise Plaza.
- Karen Clarke Opens Fiona Children’s Special Occasion in Gulf Gate Karen Clarke opens a little shop for big-event dresses.
- Sarasota Shopping Finds: Add Some Sparkle to Your Life Style editor Carol Tisch rounds up her favorite Sarasota shopping finds this month.
- Renowned Composer Jerry Bilik Moves to Sarasota The composer has been music coordinator the Oscars and Emmys, as well as VP of...
- March 2015: The Wealth Issue
- "Rainforest Masks of Costa Rica" Opens at Selby Gardens on March 6 The annual "Rainforest Masks of Costa Rica" exhibit at Selby Gardens will run from March...