Design experience: Started at 16. I went to work for Sloan [in Connecticut], then Lord and Taylor, then I went out on my own. On building a room: I'm probably a frustrated architect. Even before we put fabrics and furniture in, I see if I need space above the windows to do window treatments, or how you put the outlets so they're not interfering in the middle of a wall. Die-hard fan of: Colefax and Fowler [English antiques]. It's tried-and-true stuff we've used for 20 years, and it still looks good-old pieces of furniture that are frumpy and comfortable. Don't be afraid of: Bright colors-the Florida sun tones them down. When people come to Florida they tend to make the place too sterile. Spend money on: The rug. If you get a magnificent Oberon or a Cirque, then you can get a less expensive fabric to upholster the chairs. Make it personal: People let their rooms look too much like a furniture store. Don't try to match everything. Even a hideous thing is something to laugh about. Favorite places: The White House. The valances in my living room are Scalamandre fabric, like the trim of the Green Room in the White House. If I weren't a designer, I'd be: A history teacher.
- Rosie O'Donnell is Selling Her Casey Key Home Rosie O'Donnell is selling her Casey Key home after just three years.
- Sarasota Magazine February 2015
- Venice YMCA Black Tie Gala
- Pino's Reopens in Paradise Plaza Pino's restaurant reopens in a new space in Sarasota's Paradise Plaza.
- For Sale: Southern Mini-Estate in Venice Bob Plunket shows us a piece of Venice real estate--a Southern mini-manse--that's currently for sale...
- Restaurant Review: The Capital Grille Marsha Fottler reviews The Capital Grille at Sarasota's Mall at University Town Center and finds...
- Sarasota IV Lounge Offers a New Kind of Preventative Medicine Plus, Wild Ginger Apothecary opens for business, free dental screenings at LECOM and National Nutrition...
- Spring Fashion and Beauty Picks from Fashion Editor Heather Dunhill Our fashion editor rounds up her favorite fashion and beauty picks for spring.
- "Re:Purposed" Exhibit Opens at The Ringling The show runs through May 17.
- Sweet Treat: Station 400's Ricotta Pancakes Pancakes topped with lemon curd and blackberries make for the perfect breakfast item.