Design experience: Started at 16. I went to work for Sloan [in Connecticut], then Lord and Taylor, then I went out on my own. On building a room: I'm probably a frustrated architect. Even before we put fabrics and furniture in, I see if I need space above the windows to do window treatments, or how you put the outlets so they're not interfering in the middle of a wall. Die-hard fan of: Colefax and Fowler [English antiques]. It's tried-and-true stuff we've used for 20 years, and it still looks good-old pieces of furniture that are frumpy and comfortable. Don't be afraid of: Bright colors-the Florida sun tones them down. When people come to Florida they tend to make the place too sterile. Spend money on: The rug. If you get a magnificent Oberon or a Cirque, then you can get a less expensive fabric to upholster the chairs. Make it personal: People let their rooms look too much like a furniture store. Don't try to match everything. Even a hideous thing is something to laugh about. Favorite places: The White House. The valances in my living room are Scalamandre fabric, like the trim of the Green Room in the White House. If I weren't a designer, I'd be: A history teacher.
- The New Age of St. Pete Our neighbor to the north is poised to become the vintage capital of the world.
- Greek Restaurant Blu Kouzina Opens on St. Armands Circle Chef Judi gets the dish on this new St. Armands hotspot.
- For Sale: Baseball Star Nick Markakis's Home As baseball star Nick Markakis plans to move from the Baltimore Orioles to the Atlanta...
- Best of Sarasota 2015: Dining
- The Best of Sarasota 2015 Our editors' and readers' picks for the Best of Sarasota 2015.
- Photo of the Week: A View of the Bay from Selby Gardens The view of the bay from Selby Gardens is consistently stunning at any time of...
- Luxury Home - June 2, 2015
- Blush Bridal Opens in Downtown Sarasota Blush Bridal, a couture bridal boutique, has opened its doors on First Street in downtown...
- Sarasota Music Festival
- FST Presents the Premiere of the Apprentice Lab Project