Age: 30 Design experience: Three years working professionally with my mother [30-year Sarasota designer Bonnie Lancaster] at Lancaster-Humma-White Studio, the oldest design studio in Sarasota. What Mom taught me: I'd come here after school and help organize the library and file paperwork. My mother always wanted to share what she was doing creatively with me. We have clients who've been around since I was in kindergarten and now they're calling me for design help. Greatest challenge: Going back and forth between being highly creative and being practical in a business sense. What Sarasota needs: More variety in retail. I swore off palm trees the first year I was back in Sarasota, in 2003. Every accessory, every garbage can had a palm tree or a pineapple. Don't skimp on: Things that are long-term-flooring, window treatments, kitchen cabinetry. You don't want to pick a funky, bright blue tile that's going to look outdated in a year. Paint your wall bright blue instead. In two years when you're sick of it, it's easier to update. What's in my home: I'm painting my living room in Tibetan bright lavenders and pinks, very funky and fun. My roommate and I decided it's probably the last time we'd be able to have a pink living room. In my spare time: I'm on the board of directors of the Humane Society, and I'm the event planning chair of the Sarasota Young Professionals Group, so I don't have a lot of spare time.
- For Sale: Bobby Vinton's Former Home (Including Blue Velvet Drapes) This week, Bob Plunket takes us inside a Sarasota School of Architecture Home on New...
- Brown Bag Provisions Opens at Artisan Cheese Company Kelly Drost reopens her popular sandwich biz.
- Social on First Introduces New Saturday Brunch Downtown Sarasota's popular Social on First now offers Saturday brunch; Chef Judi Gallagher tastes and...
- Is Harbor Acres Sarasota's Best Neighborhood? This enclave of quiet wealth may be the best neighborhood in town.
- Boston Globe's Alex Beam on Why He Loves Rowing in Sarasota Beam on why he rows here, there and everywhere.
- Sarasota’s New Medical Residency Program Sarasota Memorial Health Care System and Florida State University announced the creation of a...
- Sarasota Film Festival: Cartel Land A documentary follows vigilante groups fighting drug cartels on both sides of the border.
- Sarasota Chamber Prime Time
- Companies Tee Off and Women’s Executive Tee
- EDC Sarasota County Economic Outlook 2015