Age: 30 Design experience: Three years working professionally with my mother [30-year Sarasota designer Bonnie Lancaster] at Lancaster-Humma-White Studio, the oldest design studio in Sarasota. What Mom taught me: I'd come here after school and help organize the library and file paperwork. My mother always wanted to share what she was doing creatively with me. We have clients who've been around since I was in kindergarten and now they're calling me for design help. Greatest challenge: Going back and forth between being highly creative and being practical in a business sense. What Sarasota needs: More variety in retail. I swore off palm trees the first year I was back in Sarasota, in 2003. Every accessory, every garbage can had a palm tree or a pineapple. Don't skimp on: Things that are long-term-flooring, window treatments, kitchen cabinetry. You don't want to pick a funky, bright blue tile that's going to look outdated in a year. Paint your wall bright blue instead. In two years when you're sick of it, it's easier to update. What's in my home: I'm painting my living room in Tibetan bright lavenders and pinks, very funky and fun. My roommate and I decided it's probably the last time we'd be able to have a pink living room. In my spare time: I'm on the board of directors of the Humane Society, and I'm the event planning chair of the Sarasota Young Professionals Group, so I don't have a lot of spare time.
- No events
- The New Age of St. Pete Our neighbor to the north is poised to become the vintage capital of the world.
- For Sale: Baseball Star Nick Markakis's Home As baseball star Nick Markakis plans to move from the Baltimore Orioles to the Atlanta...
- Best of Sarasota 2015: Dining
- The Best of Sarasota 2015 Our editors' and readers' picks for the Best of Sarasota 2015.
- A Look at Sarasota's Growing Traffic Problem Brookings Institution fellow and Sarasota native Adie Tomer on what's driving our current traffic crisis.
- Photo of the Week: A View of the Bay from Selby Gardens The view of the bay from Selby Gardens is consistently stunning at any time of...
- Luxury Home - June 2, 2015
- Blush Bridal Opens in Downtown Sarasota Blush Bridal, a couture bridal boutique, has opened its doors on First Street in downtown...
- Sarasota Music Festival
- FST Presents the Premiere of the Apprentice Lab Project