Sarasota designer for: 40 years. What’s new: With the influx of people from the Northeast, we’re getting a more flamboyant client. It raises the bar; we as a design community tend to get lazy. Keeping the old: People still like to have a warm sand background. Southwest Florida is so bright that they prefer a lighter, cooler foundation. Then they can flood the room with color. Unfortunate trend: The quality of merchandise; so much has been outsourced. You can’t call China or India and ask for a sample. The best clients are: Husbands and wives who work together well. Favorite project: A children’s room. They wanted to create an indoor tree house—the beds were in the shape of tree trunks. It was like working for Disney. My home: An 1894 Florida Cracker-style home on the water. [Husband and architect] Frank and I bought it 25 years ago. Everywhere you go is comfortable. Favorite place: My bathtub; it looks out over Longboat Key. Musical favorites: Classical radio, Rod Stewart and Elton John. I like mellow things. And I love singing in the church choir. If I weren’t a designer, I would: Surround myself with animals. They’re the best teachers in life.
- Fleet Feet's Ton of Fun Challenge
- SWAT Networking
- De Soto National Memorial Ranger-led Kayak Tours
- Rotary Club of Bradenton Weekly Meeting
- The Dali Museum: M.C. Escher Special Exhibition
- Gardens of the Mind Dr. Joel Elkes at 102: A Retrospective
- John Russo Announces 2015 Fall Schedule
- Selby Gardens Presents “Living Sculpture: The Art of Air Plants"
- The Players Theatre Presents “The 39 Steps”
- 18th Annual Gala for Life
- South Florida Museum Presents "Clyde Butcher's Cuba: The Natural Beauty"
- The 5 Best Things We Ate This Week Our panel of experts share their top five picks on the local dining scene this...
- An Unlikely Heroine Steps in to Save Crumbling Dolphin Tower When downtown's Dolphin Tower threatened to collapse, an unlikely heroine emerged.
- Two "Granny Ranches" Hit the Sarasota Real Estate Market Two 1950s "granny ranches" have come on the local market.
- Our 8 Favorite #Sarasota Photos on Instagram This Week This week: This morning's rocket launch, peaceful sunsets, seashells and more.
- Their Sarasota Wedding: Jenn and Denver Stutler's Longboat Key Wedding Jenn and Denver Stutler celebrated their wedding with a New Year's Day brunch on Longboat...
- Safe Sex Paranormal Prom Planned Parenthood's annual Halloween gala
$85 in advance; $100 at the door
Michael's On East
More info and...
- Fins at Sharky's Beer Dinner Five-course beer pairing.
- Their Sarasota Wedding: Cody and Jana Stapleton at the South Florida Museum Cody and Jana wed in April at the South Florida Museum.
- Sarasota Culture Collective Kicks Off 2015-2016 Season The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County kicks off its 2015-2016 Culture Collective season...
- Sarasota Magazine October 2015 Digital Edition