Sarasota designer for: 40 years. What’s new: With the influx of people from the Northeast, we’re getting a more flamboyant client. It raises the bar; we as a design community tend to get lazy. Keeping the old: People still like to have a warm sand background. Southwest Florida is so bright that they prefer a lighter, cooler foundation. Then they can flood the room with color. Unfortunate trend: The quality of merchandise; so much has been outsourced. You can’t call China or India and ask for a sample. The best clients are: Husbands and wives who work together well. Favorite project: A children’s room. They wanted to create an indoor tree house—the beds were in the shape of tree trunks. It was like working for Disney. My home: An 1894 Florida Cracker-style home on the water. [Husband and architect] Frank and I bought it 25 years ago. Everywhere you go is comfortable. Favorite place: My bathtub; it looks out over Longboat Key. Musical favorites: Classical radio, Rod Stewart and Elton John. I like mellow things. And I love singing in the church choir. If I weren’t a designer, I would: Surround myself with animals. They’re the best teachers in life.
- The New Age of St. Pete Our neighbor to the north is poised to become the vintage capital of the world.
- Greek Restaurant Blu Kouzina Opens on St. Armands Circle Chef Judi gets the dish on this new St. Armands hotspot.
- For Sale: Baseball Star Nick Markakis's Home As baseball star Nick Markakis plans to move from the Baltimore Orioles to the Atlanta...
- Best of Sarasota 2015: Dining
- The Best of Sarasota 2015 Our editors' and readers' picks for the Best of Sarasota 2015.
- Photo of the Week: A View of the Bay from Selby Gardens The view of the bay from Selby Gardens is consistently stunning at any time of...
- Luxury Home - June 2, 2015
- Blush Bridal Opens in Downtown Sarasota Blush Bridal, a couture bridal boutique, has opened its doors on First Street in downtown...
- Sarasota Music Festival
- FST Presents the Premiere of the Apprentice Lab Project