The Place: Casa Italia, 2080 Constitution Blvd., Sarasota; closed Sunday and Monday; (941) 924-1179. The Fare: Owners Raj and Nita Mathur are two of the nicest people you’ll ever meet across cold cases filled with tempting cheeses, deli items and an astonishing array of olives in many styles from all over the Mediterranean. Nearby, shelves groan with pastas and spices and sauces and pickles and sweets . . . oh, my! The Drill: Chef Nita prepares Italian meals for takeout throughout the week, but on Thursdays she turns her gifted hand to Indian cuisine. Call ahead for the day’s menu and either reserve or pick up well before closing time at 6 p.m. or you might be too late. The Bottom Line: The day’s menu choices are sold by the pound, so you can get exactly the balance and quantity your appetite demands. Offerings change weekly but always include a main dish and several sides. On a recent Thursday the main event was a celestial chicken Maharaja, featuring tender chunks of chicken breast in a curry so beautifully balanced that every spice in the sauce claimed its rightful place on the palate. We tempered the richness with sides of a cool and yogurty raita with cucumber, red onion and tomato, pulao rice with peas, and a harmonious medley of fresh vegetables in a tangy red sauce. From the freezer we chose a package of garlic scented nan, the Indian flatbread. At home, we nuked the chicken, rice and veggies, spooned up the raita cold and warmed the nan in a skillet. It was a scrumptious fast feast, and the beauty is that it set us back just $28.75, tax included and no need to tip.
- Fleet Feet's Ton of Fun Challenge
- SWAT Networking
- De Soto National Memorial Ranger-led Kayak Tours
- Rotary Club of Bradenton Weekly Meeting
- The Dali Museum: M.C. Escher Special Exhibition
- Gardens of the Mind Dr. Joel Elkes at 102: A Retrospective
- John Russo Announces 2015 Fall Schedule
- Selby Gardens Presents “Living Sculpture: The Art of Air Plants"
- The Players Theatre Presents “The 39 Steps”
- SAF Film - "Visual Acoustics: The Modernism of Julius Shulman" at Burns Court
- The 5 Best Things We Ate This Week Our panel of experts share their top five picks on the local dining scene this...
- Two "Granny Ranches" Hit the Sarasota Real Estate Market Two 1950s "granny ranches" have come on the local market.
- Our 8 Favorite #Sarasota Photos on Instagram This Week This week: This morning's rocket launch, peaceful sunsets, seashells and more.
- Their Sarasota Wedding: Jenn and Denver Stutler's Longboat Key Wedding Jenn and Denver Stutler celebrated their wedding with a New Year's Day brunch on Longboat...
- For Sale: Mini-Ranch in Myakka Yes, you can live the country lifestyle in Sarasota--case in point: This mini-ranch on six...