The Place: Casa Italia, 2080 Constitution Blvd., Sarasota; closed Sunday and Monday; (941) 924-1179. The Fare: Owners Raj and Nita Mathur are two of the nicest people you’ll ever meet across cold cases filled with tempting cheeses, deli items and an astonishing array of olives in many styles from all over the Mediterranean. Nearby, shelves groan with pastas and spices and sauces and pickles and sweets . . . oh, my! The Drill: Chef Nita prepares Italian meals for takeout throughout the week, but on Thursdays she turns her gifted hand to Indian cuisine. Call ahead for the day’s menu and either reserve or pick up well before closing time at 6 p.m. or you might be too late. The Bottom Line: The day’s menu choices are sold by the pound, so you can get exactly the balance and quantity your appetite demands. Offerings change weekly but always include a main dish and several sides. On a recent Thursday the main event was a celestial chicken Maharaja, featuring tender chunks of chicken breast in a curry so beautifully balanced that every spice in the sauce claimed its rightful place on the palate. We tempered the richness with sides of a cool and yogurty raita with cucumber, red onion and tomato, pulao rice with peas, and a harmonious medley of fresh vegetables in a tangy red sauce. From the freezer we chose a package of garlic scented nan, the Indian flatbread. At home, we nuked the chicken, rice and veggies, spooned up the raita cold and warmed the nan in a skillet. It was a scrumptious fast feast, and the beauty is that it set us back just $28.75, tax included and no need to tip.
- For Sale: Bobby Vinton's Former Home (Including Blue Velvet Drapes) This week, Bob Plunket takes us inside a Sarasota School of Architecture Home on New...
- Brown Bag Provisions Opens at Artisan Cheese Company Kelly Drost reopens her popular sandwich biz.
- Social on First Introduces New Saturday Brunch Downtown Sarasota's popular Social on First now offers Saturday brunch; Chef Judi Gallagher tastes and...
- Is Harbor Acres Sarasota's Best Neighborhood? This enclave of quiet wealth may be the best neighborhood in town.
- Six Questions with Vaughn Dorrian of Hummingbird Fine Foods Dorrian will be at Morton's Market today for a live demonstration and tasting.
- Sarasota’s New Medical Residency Program Sarasota Memorial Health Care System and Florida State University announced the creation of a...
- Sarasota Film Festival: Cartel Land A documentary follows vigilante groups fighting drug cartels on both sides of the border.
- Sarasota Chamber Prime Time
- Companies Tee Off and Women’s Executive Tee
- EDC Sarasota County Economic Outlook 2015