What are you wearing? A black chiffon dress by Elie Saab with custom beadwork across the bodice. He and Zuhair Murad are my favorite designers; they’re both from Lebanon, and I’m from Syria. Where do you shop? I shop in Europe, and, again, Lebanon. They have the best fashion; I go there a few times a year. I go to a couple of places in New York, too, like Dolce and Gabbana. I go over to the big designer shops in Miami, like Prada, for the shoes and purses, but I very rarely shop here. Describe your fashion style. I like to be different. I like sexy, and pretty. I don’t follow crazy fashion; I like to look elegant, like a lady. I wear black, red and white, but most of the time I’m in black. My father called me the Black Beauty. What brought you to Sarasota? I’ve been here five years. I was married to a doctor who got a job offer in Sarasota. I saw the sunset on Siesta Key—all the colors—and decided to stay. It is like a little paradise here. I owned a store called Yara’s Boutique on Hillview for one year, but closed it recently because of the economy. I’m now finishing my M.B.A. at USF.
- For Sale: Bobby Vinton's Former Home (Including Blue Velvet Drapes) This week, Bob Plunket takes us inside a Sarasota School of Architecture Home on New...
- Social on First Introduces New Saturday Brunch Downtown Sarasota's popular Social on First now offers Saturday brunch; Chef Judi Gallagher tastes and...
- Brown Bag Provisions Opens at Artisan Cheese Company Kelly Drost reopens her popular sandwich biz.
- Is Harbor Acres Sarasota's Best Neighborhood? This enclave of quiet wealth may be the best neighborhood in town.
- Boston Globe's Alex Beam on Why He Loves Rowing in Sarasota Beam on why he rows here, there and everywhere.