While other teens head to the movies, the six members of Jazz Juvenocracy, aged 13 to 18, spend every possible minute perfecting their music. Trumpeter Bit Risner and drummer Rodney Rocques, who says jazz “kidnapped” him at a young age, played together at Booker Middle and three years ago decided to form a band. “Twenty-two kids showed interest, but when they announced everyday rehearsals there were four left,” says band mom Lisa Risner. They perform frequent local gigs, and their recreation of Duke Ellington’s A Night at the Cotton Club, inspired by original transcriptions and tips from Ellington’s bassist, led the way to a European tour of premier summer jazz festivals. Rocques and saxophonist Tommy Silverman are headed off to college this fall, but their replacements are already rehearsing. “Jazz is our life,” says bassist Brent Layman. “But maybe if we played rock ’n’ roll we’d get a few more dates.”
- For Sale: Ground-Floor Bayfront Apartment on Golden Gate Point Bob Plunket takes us inside a ground-floor apartment with beautiful bay views on downtown Sarasota's...
- PAINT Nail Bar Opens in Downtown Sarasota The salon--the brainchild of Michele Schlossberg--will offer lux-yet-affordable nail services in downtown Sarasota.
- Six Questions with Vaughn Dorrian of Hummingbird Fine Foods Dorrian will be at Morton's Market today for a live demonstration and tasting.
- March 2015: The Wealth Issue
- Sneak Peek: Our 2015 Best Of Sarasota Party With just over a month left to get your tickets, we're sharing a few sizzling...
- Sarasota Magazine April 2015
- F.I.S.H.BoatWorks Aims to Save Wooden Boats A Cortez group of wooden boat restorers takes on its biggest project yet.
- How to Live the Sarasota Boating Life We live in a boater's paradise. Let's chart your course.
- Sponsored Blog: What’s Up with Wallpaper: Why and How You Should Use It Sarasota interior design firm Chic on the Cheap shows us how to pick the perfect...
- Sarasota Film Festival