While other teens head to the movies, the six members of Jazz Juvenocracy, aged 13 to 18, spend every possible minute perfecting their music. Trumpeter Bit Risner and drummer Rodney Rocques, who says jazz “kidnapped” him at a young age, played together at Booker Middle and three years ago decided to form a band. “Twenty-two kids showed interest, but when they announced everyday rehearsals there were four left,” says band mom Lisa Risner. They perform frequent local gigs, and their recreation of Duke Ellington’s A Night at the Cotton Club, inspired by original transcriptions and tips from Ellington’s bassist, led the way to a European tour of premier summer jazz festivals. Rocques and saxophonist Tommy Silverman are headed off to college this fall, but their replacements are already rehearsing. “Jazz is our life,” says bassist Brent Layman. “But maybe if we played rock ’n’ roll we’d get a few more dates.”
- Rosie O'Donnell is Selling Her Casey Key Home Rosie O'Donnell is selling her Casey Key home after just three years.
- Ned Davis Sells Stock Market Research Company After an immensely profitable sale, Ned Davis is no longer running his stock market research...
- What It Really Means to be Wealthy in Sarasota Are you rich? Former Barron's editor Rich Rescigno answers what turns out to be--in Sarasota...
- Venice YMCA Black Tie Gala
- Pino's Reopens in Paradise Plaza Pino's restaurant reopens in a new space in Sarasota's Paradise Plaza.
- PAINT Nail Bar Opens in Downtown Sarasota The salon--the brainchild of Michele Schlossberg--will offer lux-yet-affordable nail services in downtown Sarasota.
- Karen Clarke Opens Fiona Children’s Special Occasion in Gulf Gate Karen Clarke opens a little shop for big-event dresses.
- Sarasota Shopping Finds: Add Some Sparkle to Your Life Style editor Carol Tisch rounds up her favorite Sarasota shopping finds this month.
- Renowned Composer Jerry Bilik Moves to Sarasota The composer has been music coordinator the Oscars and Emmys, as well as VP of...
- March 2015: The Wealth Issue