Jazz bassist-vocalist Kate Davis is just 19, but her great range and impressive technique have already won critical raves, along with gigs at New York’s legendary Blue Note and the White House. This month she performs at the Ringling International Arts Festival, where audiences may think they’re listening to an old jazz soul. Davis fell in love with the bass just before high school, pushing her way through those first painful blisters to discover a gift for jazz’s improvisatory style. “I didn’t want to follow the rules of classical music,” Davis says. “In jazz, doing something different is encouraged.” Now in her second year at the Manhattan School of Music and a frequent festival performer, she says that when she’s not playing music, “I like to write it.”
- For Sale: Ground-Floor Bayfront Apartment on Golden Gate Point Bob Plunket takes us inside a ground-floor apartment with beautiful bay views on downtown Sarasota's...
- PAINT Nail Bar Opens in Downtown Sarasota The salon--the brainchild of Michele Schlossberg--will offer lux-yet-affordable nail services in downtown Sarasota.
- Six Questions with Vaughn Dorrian of Hummingbird Fine Foods Dorrian will be at Morton's Market today for a live demonstration and tasting.
- March 2015: The Wealth Issue
- Sneak Peek: Our 2015 Best Of Sarasota Party With just over a month left to get your tickets, we're sharing a few sizzling...
- Sarasota Magazine April 2015
- F.I.S.H.BoatWorks Aims to Save Wooden Boats A Cortez group of wooden boat restorers takes on its biggest project yet.
- How to Live the Sarasota Boating Life We live in a boater's paradise. Let's chart your course.
- Sponsored Blog: What’s Up with Wallpaper: Why and How You Should Use It Sarasota interior design firm Chic on the Cheap shows us how to pick the perfect...
- Sarasota Film Festival