Pedigreed antiques, lush upholstery fabrics and fine art are Bob Bacon’s passions. So when he recently moved to a Sarasota mobile home park called The Winds of St. Armands, he took his prized possessions with him. “I didn’t want to part with anything, but I’m not a condo person. And I didn’t want to deal with a garden, a swimming pool and huge overhead—I just wanted to power down in a place for me and my dog,” says the owner of Bacon & Wing, a furniture and textiles manufacturing business he built to national prominence with his partner, the late Thomas Wing. Instead, Bacon bought his now majestic mobile home for $15,000 and immediately embarked on a $100,000 remodel, including enclosing the porch for a new total of 1,600 square feet of interior space. “I went for the best—a new kitchen, new bath with a sink from Paris, wood floors, all new walls and five-point crown molding throughout,” he says. “The last thing I wanted was a home that looked like a trailer.”
- For Sale: Bobby Vinton's Former Home (Including Blue Velvet Drapes) This week, Bob Plunket takes us inside a Sarasota School of Architecture Home on New...
- Brown Bag Provisions Opens at Artisan Cheese Company Kelly Drost reopens her popular sandwich biz.
- Social on First Introduces New Saturday Brunch Downtown Sarasota's popular Social on First now offers Saturday brunch; Chef Judi Gallagher tastes and...
- Is Harbor Acres Sarasota's Best Neighborhood? This enclave of quiet wealth may be the best neighborhood in town.
- Six Questions with Vaughn Dorrian of Hummingbird Fine Foods Dorrian will be at Morton's Market today for a live demonstration and tasting.
- Sarasota’s New Medical Residency Program Sarasota Memorial Health Care System and Florida State University announced the creation of a...
- Sarasota Film Festival: Cartel Land A documentary follows vigilante groups fighting drug cartels on both sides of the border.
- Sarasota Chamber Prime Time
- Companies Tee Off and Women’s Executive Tee
- EDC Sarasota County Economic Outlook 2015