Pedigreed antiques, lush upholstery fabrics and fine art are Bob Bacon’s passions. So when he recently moved to a Sarasota mobile home park called The Winds of St. Armands, he took his prized possessions with him. “I didn’t want to part with anything, but I’m not a condo person. And I didn’t want to deal with a garden, a swimming pool and huge overhead—I just wanted to power down in a place for me and my dog,” says the owner of Bacon & Wing, a furniture and textiles manufacturing business he built to national prominence with his partner, the late Thomas Wing. Instead, Bacon bought his now majestic mobile home for $15,000 and immediately embarked on a $100,000 remodel, including enclosing the porch for a new total of 1,600 square feet of interior space. “I went for the best—a new kitchen, new bath with a sink from Paris, wood floors, all new walls and five-point crown molding throughout,” he says. “The last thing I wanted was a home that looked like a trailer.”
- No events
- The New Age of St. Pete Our neighbor to the north is poised to become the vintage capital of the world.
- For Sale: Baseball Star Nick Markakis's Home As baseball star Nick Markakis plans to move from the Baltimore Orioles to the Atlanta...
- Best of Sarasota 2015: Dining
- The Best of Sarasota 2015 Our editors' and readers' picks for the Best of Sarasota 2015.
- A Look at Sarasota's Growing Traffic Problem Brookings Institution fellow and Sarasota native Adie Tomer on what's driving our current traffic crisis.
- Photo of the Week: A View of the Bay from Selby Gardens The view of the bay from Selby Gardens is consistently stunning at any time of...
- Luxury Home - June 2, 2015
- Blush Bridal Opens in Downtown Sarasota Blush Bridal, a couture bridal boutique, has opened its doors on First Street in downtown...
- Sarasota Music Festival
- FST Presents the Premiere of the Apprentice Lab Project