The world’s largest collection of vintage Art Deco Chinese rugs, seen formerly only on the internet, is now open to the public by appointment at Antique Oriental Rugs in Sarasota. These carpets transcend simple floor covering and enter the realm of the phantasmagorical artwork, from simple floral motifs to incredible combinations of botanical designs coupled with fanciful interpretations of creatures of nature. Introduce yourself to a whole new way of looking at things. The powerful use of color and design are unlike anything the Western eye is used to seeing. Don’t believe it? Come in and see for yourself. For a preview, you can see the whole collection here.
“Every day I hear stories about cost overruns, products purchased that don’t fit, subcontractors not showing up, product delays, a ‘forgotten’ permit, a paint color that isn’t what you expected—it goes on and on,” says Cheryl Gaddie of CGDesigns. If you do a “self-managed project” in your home, here are a few things to remember, says Gaddie:
• Begin from the bottom up; start with the foundation of the project. Know everything before you begin. Don’t make assumptions.
• If you are decorating, begin with flooring and lighting. Lighting is extremely important! You’re building a foundation for style, and both of these areas determine the function.
• Do not “impulse buy” products just because they’re on sale. If they don’t fit, you’ve wasted time and money attempting to put a square peg in a round hole.
• Know your options before you make a decision. Not every salesperson is trained in the product they sell. Take the time to do your research.
• Review space plans for your project. There are several free “self help” sights from painting stores (“My favorite is Benjamin Moore,” says Gaddie) to full design programs—you must be willing to do the work!
• And, of course, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
A Must See
If you want to see great outdoor décor in action before you buy, Southern Design Living has put together a fantastic showroom demonstrating great uses for great garden products. Southern Design Living’s walled-in garden includes a variety of outdoor furniture and pottery suited for southwest Florida's climate. With its unique items and reasonable pricing, the coastal home furnishing store is gaining a huge following. Located at 2980 Placida Road in Englewood, Florida, it is open Monday-Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 .p.m.
Minto Communities introduces Harbour Isle, a master-planned, gated community located on Anna Maria Sound. Harbour Isle features a Southern coastal architectural style with retreats and observatories for scenic views, premium standard features and decorative shake-tile roof and standing seam metal. Starting in the $330s for incredible resort-style waterfront living, Harbour Isle will offer 96 two- and three-story homes as part of its first neighborhood, Mangrove Walk on Harbour Isle. Within Mangrove Walk, Minto offers six floor plans ranging from 1,600 to 3,000 air-conditioned square feet. The first phase offers its residents a gated entry, miles of walking trails, and the Mangrove Walk pool and kayak launch, a gathering area, pool and community kayak launch for exploring the man-made, one mile interior lake. The grand Beach Club will be built in later phases along the shores of Anna Maria Sound, and a 119-slip marina will be located at the entrance of the community. For more information visit mintofla.com