Court House (ca late 1920). Designed by Dwight James Baum (the same New Yorker who commissioned the Ca’d’Zan and the El Vernona-John Ringling Hotel), the Court House follows in his Mediterranean Revival style. Built in 1926-27, the floor plan has two wings intended to demonstrate the balance of power: one for administration, the other for judicial purposes. A tower and reflection pool stand between them. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. -- Chelsey Lucas
Photo courtesy of the Sarasota County Department of Historical Resources.