Though emails and texting have all but obliterated cursive writing, a fashion backlash is evident in the revival of monogramming. In Sarasota the epicenter of the trend is Say It With Stitches, where fashionistas are taking their chic Goyard totes to be custom monogrammed, and hobbyists are paying up to $13,500 for Bernina sewing machines. Indeed, this centuries-old art is an antidote to an increasingly impersonal world, and the products here are proof positive that the old-fashioned monogram is eminently modern.
1. A connoisseur blend features old-world monogramming on new-world Triton crystal designed to resist breakage. Five different wine glass shapes (above); each comes in a set of six for $72 plus monogramming. Pottery Barn, 3501 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, (941) 366-5351.
2. Stamp out regifting with the best-selling personalizable collection at M.L. Gosling: custom lettered plates, trays and photo frames for weddings, births and your own special occasion (from $88). M.L. Gosling, 43.S. Palm Ave., Sarasota, (941) 366-2500.
3. Beautifully bespoke linens by Matouk in white percale from the finest Egyptian cotton with two elegant rows of satin embroidery in a choice of colors are a luxurious indulgence (standard sham, $135 plus monogramming). Order at Main Street Traders, 1468 Main St., Sarasota, (941) 373-0475.
4. Old meets new in Jennifer Zeuner’s vintage-inspired but timeless Swirly pendant with a trio of your initials in a choice of rose or yellow 14K gold ($895) or gold vermeil or silver ($286) on 16-inch rope chain. Influence, 474 John Ringling Blvd., Sarasota, (941) 343-2315.
5. The Royale cabinet by Eloquence is brimming with upper-crust glam; shown with gold gilt accents and signature R logo. Also available without initials (from $1,298) to order at Awesome Orchids, 330 S. Pineapple Ave., Sarasota, (941) 365-3500.
6. Properly preppy and quintessentially well-mannered, custom monogrammed stationery is back in vogue in eco-chic papers and inks from nationally buzzed about Winter Park, Fla.-based Rifle Paper Co. Write-On Sarasota, 1423 First St., Sarasota, (941) 953-2800.
7. Louis Vuitton customers say “mais oui” to Mon Monogram, a trend-spurring service that lets you customize their totes, wallets and more with bands of color and initials. Check out myriad choices at louisvuitton.com.
8. The design community’s go-to source for custom cowhide rugs, Kyle Bunting blazes new trails with hair-on-cowhide pillows in 70 fashion colors, with multiple font choices for monograms (from $400). Order at Current, 83 Cocoanut Ave., Sarasota, (941) 365-5323.
For more Sarasota shopping and fashion news, click here to read Heather Dunhill's Fashion IQ. >>
This article appears in the March 2014 issue of Sarasota Magazine. Like what you read? Click here to subscribe. >>