Long a staple in Sarasota fashion and interior design, tropical foliage is displaying a bold new sophistication. Design houses from Schumacher fabrics to couturiers like Jason Wu, Prada and Milly have fun with exotic leaf motifs, either abstracting them or creating contemporary etched effects with color blocking. From jewelry to rugs, we found the look blossoming all over town.
1. A resort classic, the Hawaiian tropical leaf shirt is updated in fashion colors and couture designs like Garden Waltz in silk (from $115) by the Aloha state’s most coveted brand, Tori Richard (above). Captain’s Landing, 243 W. Venice Ave., Venice, (941) 485-2329.
2. Designer Jason Wu silhouettes tropical leaves to create abstract patterns on precisely tailored linen crepe shorts ($905), crinkled silk dresses ($2,845) and more at Saks Fifth Avenue, 3501 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, (941) 364-5300.
3. Sleep au naturel in Anali bed linens’ Paradise leaf design embroidered on fabrics woven in Italy of the finest cotton (Euro sham $385, neck roll $154). The look is totally customizable at Mélange Home, 64 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota, (941) 444-7969.
4. The Organic Allure collection of leafy bijoux by Simon G. includes these eye-grabbing earrings of earthy 18K yellow, rose and brown gold with .10ctw of white diamonds ($1,430). McCarver & Moser, 482 John Ringling Blvd., Sarasota, (941) 388-3666.
5. Give any dinner party an exotic air with gold-plated serving pieces by designer Michael Aram, like the monstera leaf centerpiece ($395). M.L. Gosling, 43 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota, (941) 366-2500.
6. Haute enough for the city but cool enough for the tropics, the Palm Cage tote comes with a black or brown leather cutout palm motif cage and a removable white interior pouch ($348). Tommy Bahama, 371 St. Armands Circle, (941) 388-2446.
7. Metallic leaf inserts wrap around the foot and ankle like a jungle vine in shoe couturier Giuseppe Zanotti’s white or black calfskin spike-heel sandal with rear zip ($1,875). Order at Addison Craig, 28 S. Boulevard of Presidents, St. Armands Circle, (941) 388-3400.
For more Sarasota shopping finds, check out our Retail Therapy blog. >>
This article appears in the May 2014 issue of Sarasota Magazine. Like what you read? Click here to subscribe. >>