The old Hover Arcade on the foot of Main Street was originally home to fire department and government offices, among others, when it was built in 1913. Later, it became the Sarasota’s City Hall during World War II, with the Chamber of Commerce sitting on the pier. The arcade was demolished in 1967, and our City Hall on First Street was built to replace it.
Photo courtesy of Sarasota History Center
For even more ways to get Sarasota Magazine, become a fan on Facebook or follow @SarasotaMagazin on Twitter.