McClellan Sisters (n.d.) The McClellan sisters are known as the developers of McClellan Park, located on 56 acres at the southern end of Orange Avenue. Katherine E. and Daisietta G. McClellan came to Sarasota around 1910, and having fallen in love with the weather and the people, the sisters wanted to do good for the community. They hired landscapers to design the park, but due to unstable land costs, were unable to complete the project as they had envisioned it. Still, when the park opened on March 6 , 1916, the turnout was impressive and the park was dubbed Sarasota’s “Garden Spot”. The sisters continued their community involvement by operating the Clubhouse tea room and opening a gift shop downtown. – Chelsey Lucas
Photo courtesy of the Sarasota County Department of Historical Resources.